Termite soldiers usually have a darker head along with a yellowish body
It is almost impossible to get rid of termites by yourself –
don't risk your investment in your furniture, which can be completely ruined within just 1-2 weeks!
- they like it dark - that's why you rarely see them on surfaces. They will try build 'tunnels' created from earth or dust and crawl underneath, or build tunnels underneath tiles, plaster or in 'natural' passages that connect potential nests
- are rarely seen ON wood, as they prefer “hidden” locations like:
- underneath plant pots (loving the coconut wood pellets the pots are often filled with)
- behind your skirting boards (you will almost never see them crawling in a wardrobe!)
- will enter rooms through
- draining holes on your terrace
- cable pipes
- drainage pipes under your sink or in the shower
- hallway windows (often underneath the metal frame, building passages underneath tiles)
- the only visible routes are usually just a few dozen centimeters long
- in corners of walls or on tile grooves
- over leaves connecting plant pots ( = potential nests) with walls or 'holes' where they go underneath again
- shockingly flexible and FAST: they can move a complete colony within just a couple of hours. My personal experience was to water my plants on the balcony at 10pm at night …at 10am in the morning there was a 2m long, completed 'highway' covered by earth on my balcony and they had already transported hundreds of larvaes, eggs etc. underneath a wooden chair and started their work ...
- what they EAT: they love wood, especially timber; but they also damage paper, cloth, carpets and other cellulosic materials. Particles taken from soft plastics, plaster, rubber, and sealants such as silicone rubber and acrylics are often employed in construction.
More detailed information at
http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010 ... festation/
During the last AGM, it was decided that any kind of termite infestation will receive our full attention this year to get rid of these buggers. Dates of regular, building-wide treatment will soon be announced here and on the notice board. Please inform the frontdesk if you want your condominium treated but are not sure whether you are here at that time.
(Storage room door frame somewhere in the US with fresh termite mud tubes - more pictures from the web at http://www.pestcontrolthailand.com/temp ... amages.php )